Never Look Back

// Nightflyer

Thursday, 23 December 2010

The Tournament


23 december
 Three days had passed since they had had the addiction incident, which they all would call it here on after; Emma had left campus no one knew any details but the common belief was that she had been admitted. Neither teams had been especially psyched about the tournament; it seemed strange that it was to be held this afternoon.”
                “Danny!” Riley hollered when he saw her across the cafeteria. Danny turned around and saw Riley waving at her to sit down so she bought her lunch and went over there.
“Sit down. I want to finally give you my offer.” He said and stirred his chocolate. Danny smiled and sat down. “I’ve already joined Dawson’s team, I can’t change plans now in the last minute.”
Riley pointed at her with the spoon from his cup. “But you should hear me out; it might turn out to be the best thing for both teams. We need something to motivate us, I know you and the others haven’t been doing so well either.” He leaned over. “I want Dawson and the others to form a new team with me and mine.”
Danny was surprised; she had expected him to offer a bigger room or some other team privileges. This was unexpected. “Interesting… But why talk to me about this?” She asked after a moment’s consideration. Riley leaned back again trying to look casual, but failing a little. “Well, Dawson wouldn’t want to lose you and your ability so close to the tournament; he would most likely follow your lead on this. So, if I can convince you that this is a good idea, than I have in turn convinced the entire team.”
“Alright, I’ll talk to him.”
“The tournament was about to start, the entire city must have been there you could feel the excitement in the air. ‘The first challenge is the obstacle course. Four teams, one person from each team, will go through an obstacle course and along the way they will put their insignia on billboards. These will be placed in paces difficult to reach and easy to miss entirely. The first one coming out on the other side with all of their insignias placed correctly will move on to the next stage with an advantage, while the last one in is out entirely…” This was Dawson’s version of a pep talk, explaining the rules over and over again. “I’ve signed us up, no turning back now. This was a great idea Danny, Riley truly great.” He said with a smile on his face. They were all there with him waiting for the games to begin.  “The next challenge is the riddle, and that is where you come in Danny. The rules are simple, you will get one riddle which you are supposed to answer correctly within the minute and you have only one try. Fail and we lose the advantaged gained in the previous challenge.” He walked back and forth in front of them when speaking with an everlasting smile on his face. “You Danny will be able to pick any riddle you like or even persuade the questioner that your answer is the right one. This is why I wanted you to join. Your gift will allow us to finally get past that challenge and win the tournament.”
                “The obstacle course went like a charm! Maggie and Keith even beat the record. They had worked as a team when running through the course; Maggie put the insignias on the high points and Keith on the low. Next up was Danny and the riddle…”
                Danny walked out on the podium to receive her riddle. The other representatives had already gotten theirs, two had failed and one had succeeded. Danny felt a little nervous, there were so many people here to watch her, but she decided not to care, this was going to be easy. She would do as Dawson had said and use her powers to win this. Once she had reached the podium the lights focused on her and a great voice spoke her riddle.

I talk, but I do not speak my mind
I hear words, but I do not listen to thoughts
When I wake, all see me
When I sleep, all hear me
Many heads are on my shoulders
Many hands are at my feet
The strongest steel cannot break my visage
But the softest whisper can destroy me
                                                                                What am I?

Danny couldn’t help but laugh. This was the riddle? She knew this one. There was no need for her powers.  “You are an actor.” She said still laughing a little-
                “Danny had secured their lead and even without using powers. Sonya and Caroline made it through the labyrinth with their handy ability to walk right through the puzzle. They had only to worry about not being detected by the various scouts placed along the way. They had gotten the head start the others had acquired. They were allowed to be detected once without being disqualified, which turned out to be very useful. Next up was Sierra, Riley and Dawson and the very last challenge of the tournament.
                “All we have to do is get the flag from over there to over here. Remember what we practiced.” Dawson said to them right before it started. Upon entering Dawson and Sierra turned invisible while Riley shape-shifted into one of the members on the opposing team. The other team had tricks up their sleeves to, but they didn’t have two invisible people and a shape-shifter. Dawson’s and Riley’s combined teams won the tournament without any setbacks.
                “The crowd roared when they beat the all-time record. It was an amazing victory. No one had seen such a successful team on the tournament. In a little while I will tell you about your parents’ winnings and the offer made by a certain S.C…”

20 comments:

Nightflyer said...

Long post be long. ^^

Nightflyer said...

Also, thank god for wikipedia.. =P

Kat said...

Nawww, so many that had to stand by in the competition. Blake, León, Josh, Andrew...

Yeonni said...

Where's the 24! :<

I bet the others helped with preparing!

Also, I can't stop wondering what would happen if, say, Andrew made a telekinesis field or tried to push Caroline while she was "phasing". Like, could tk affect someone who's incorporeal? Can the wallwalkers "phase" spontaneously or must they have a physical object to talk through? Is it only the part currently inside an object that's incorporeal or their entire body?

Kat said...

You think too much :P All this theorizing makes my head hurt. Although, my head hurt even before - damn cold-inducing town >_< I'm also wondering about the 24th, was looking forward to that nice final revelation episode on x-mas morning...

Riklurt said...

I'm sad that the answer to the riddle was right beneath it. I couldn't dodge reading it as I read the riddle.

I like guessing riddles!

Yeonni said...

But thinking is fun! Keeps me alive out here in the deep forests :P Colds are less fun though.

Sooo... what to do until part 24? Guess at the solution? Must be something about the kids, the "shell story". All the kids have powers too?

Did I have a kid? Or was I just aunt Danny? I can't remmeber...

Sara said...

Yes, where did number 24 go? I wants it!!!

Nallenon said...

I'm with D on this, wondering about the powers is fun. Since they have been specified as wallwalkers, I would guess that they can only phase through objects. Or perhaps they dematerialize objects when they touch them.. In either case, you have to be pretty precise when running through a wall, take too little and you send a sliver of plaster through your ribcage, too much and you lose your clothes. That must take some practice.

Yeonni said...

We are six years old and want our story! xD

No but srsly I thought you'd written the whole thing and was just editing and posting it day by day, but I suddenly started wondering if you were actually writing it every day, in which case the whole thing gets a lot more stressful.

But we *are* six year old and we *want* our story :P Who's with me!

Yeonni said...

Oh hey Nalle. If they dematerialize objects when they touch them, it has to be just the specific area they touch because... no wait, if they dematerialized stuff they touched, the stuff would start falling off of stuff... like if they're walking on a table, and there's a cheese on the table, and they dematerialize the cheese, it would fall through the table. As opposed to... wait why don't they fall through the table?

Nightflyer said...

Hey everyone! So sorry for not posting ._.' I suck.

No, I wrote them day by day... Not the best plan ever but that is the way things went. On the plus side, I'll post it before midnight tonight.

Nallenon said...

I, being the old man I am, am going to be the responsible adult in this House'o'babies and say "Hush childe, Aunt Mads will give it to you when it's done baking".

Nallenon said...

But if the cheese is dematerialized, it wouldn't fall, because there is no matter in it that 'wants' to fall. If they managed to dematerialize only the table under the cheese and not the cheese, then the cheese would fall until it reached the area being dematerialized, and then stop.j

Nallenon said...

Oh, hey. This 'dematerialize the wall'-power could be very interesting. It has a few applications that the standard 'dematerialize self' doesn't have, but you don't want to use it running through a load-bearing pillar.

Yeonni said...

It would get trickier to use that power, a lot actually. It's also slightly overpowered in the sense that you just need to touch someone to dematerialize their spine or something and yeaaaahh :P Maybe if it only affects inanimate or non-biological things.

Yeonni said...

Also, it's ok Mads, whining was more fun than just leaving you with zero comments :P

Nallenon said...

True, people would be pretty susceptible to that....
Not a good power for RPG then. Still fun for stories.

Riklurt said...

Hm. For an RPG, I think the dematerialization would fall under the "sphere of influence" restriction - that is to say, every sentient character has a "sphere of influence", including the ground they are standing on, their clothes, and anything that they "own", plus their own bodies.

Maybe this is the restriction on what the wallwalkers can dematerialize, and they also can't affect someone elses' sphere of influence?

Yeonni said...

Good one Rik, I approve. This means you can't do stupid stuff like dematerialize the ground under someone's feet and then materialize it again as soon as they've sunk down.