16 december
“What do we do?” Reese whispered, although it was a lousy whisper Mandy thought. Uncle Riley had surely heard it. She put her finger across her lips and shook her head.
“So, tell me… Do you have a twin?” Danny asked and the sarcasm was loud and clear. “Please tell me what is going on; I don’t want to play this game anymore.” She was tempted to use her power but the latest encounter with Dawson had made her at bit wary about using it. She had agreed to follow Josh into the library and it looked just like any other school library until he had leaned over the counter and pushed a button. On doing this one of the bookshelves was pulled aside and revealed a door. “After you.” Josh said and gestured towards the door. “Okay, I guess I’ll go first then…” he said when Danny didn’t respond and walked through the door. It appeared to be an elevator, intrigued she decided to follow, what was the worst that could happen? That you are walking into a trap and will deeply regret ever walking through that door? Her mind suggested. Or perhaps I’ll actually get some questions answered. It tried again when the first suggestion was ignored. Danny took a deep breath and stepped into the elevator.
Mandy and Reese looked at each other in astonishment, was that the old man talking? It couldn’t be mistaken; the old man was in the kitchen continuing his story. They quickly looked at uncle Riley who was still sitting in the armchair. “Shouldn’t you two hurry up? The food will get cold and you’ll miss the story.” He said suddenly. They both jumped in surprise at that. “What about you uncle Riley? Don’t you want any food?” Mandy said after abandoning their not so secret hideout. “Sure, sweetie, in a little bit.” He said and smiled at her. “Run along now, kiddo.” And so she did with Reese not far behind.
The elevator went down for a minute or so and then it stopped. “This is our place, my team and I practice here. Just like Dawson has his little house over by the woods I have this.” When he stepped out of the elevator he changed his appearance. Danny laughed a little at that. “I knew something was up.” She muttered. “Who are you really?” She said then speaking up. He just smiled at that and then showed her into the living room. It had its own little library in there with bookshelves reaching all the way to the ceiling on all four walls. There were several couches and armchairs in the room and a fireplace. “Are you hungry? I’m sure we have something edible down here…” he asked and sat down in the armchair next to the fire. Danny chose to walk around a little in the room. “I will assume that you are Riley.” She said and picked down a book from one of the shelves ‘The Founders of Tingvalla School for the super gifted’ it said and she frowned at the title. “My number one question for you is why you have been following me around. Disguise or no, you’ve been around me ever since I got here. There is no point in denying it.”
“I need you for the tournament.” He simply said. “I’m sure Dawson has made you his offer already. Let’s talk. I’m sure I can give you a better one.”
Mandy and Reese entered the kitchen and there he was, sitting on the kitchen couch and telling his story. What was going on? Hadn’t they seen the old man turn into uncle Riley just a minute ago? Something was up, and Reese was determined to find out more about this, but for now he settled with eating and listening.
7 comments:
Ooh, finally TricksyRik is revealed.
... or Tricky Dick, to use the precedent of another deceptive, historical Rik? And the Watergate elements are there already - courtesy of Blake.
Where is Bob Woodward when you need him? (woodwards, perhaps?)
That would be a twist indeed. "The whole Christmas calendar is a metaphor for a 40-year old political scandal".
I would be surprised as hell.
That would be impressive. Rik, I think you intended on writing the next one? You know what you have to do.
I wasn't suggesting this is a Watergate metaphor, I was using Watergate as a metaphor for this. If it's the other way around I'll agree that's a truly Winthropian twist.
(Idea for future calendar: Retell historical event with new cast...)
"Retell historical event with new cast";
may mean one of these things:
Retell a historical event, such as the death or Caesar or Perl Harbor, with this cast - us.
or!
Retell a historical event of ours, such as our epic adventures in the Hole or the Library or our Very Serious Projects like Björns birthday cake, but with a new cast, such as Caesar, Hiter and Margret Thatcher.
I for one think the second seems hilarious, although it lacks the fun and insight of writing about our friend's alter egos.
It does however have the advantage of seeing Thatcher smash her face into a cake.
Post a Comment