Never Look Back

// Nightflyer

Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Is he Santa or a Ghost?


15 december

“I think that was your aunt Caroline calling, and that means food.” The old man said and the kids hurried to the kitchen, except for Mandy, her brother and Reese who were hiding behind the couch. They had a plan… No one knew who the old man really was, he didn’t have name or a house or a bed. But now they would find out, if they could just be really quiet they might be able to follow him or at least see where he went. Mandy thought that he might be Santa, but that seemed silly to Reese. It couldn’t be Santa, he would have way too much to do over at the North Pole to be able to come here and tell a silly story. Not that the story was in any way silly. Mandy’s brother had a theory about the old man being a ghost, on account of him never eating anything or even sleeping, which sounded reasonable to Reese. Whichever it turned out to be, they would figure it out.
Once all the kids had let the room, the old man sighed and sat down heavily in the armchair and they immediately ruled out the ghost theory. Mandy was brave enough to take a peek and she saw something that made her quickly pull her head back down. “His nose!” she whispered to the others. “Look!”  Three little heads popped out from behind the couch and looked intently at the old man’s nose. It had changed. It seemed… smaller now. As they watched his hair turned less grey and his face seemed to get less wrinkly… The children watched how the old man turned into their uncle Riley. They stared at him in disbelief. Was everything in the story real?!

4 comments:

Nightflyer said...

Ha! I made it before twelve.
Sorry, it's a last minute post and a tiny one at that, but school was calling and there wasn't much I could do about that. I will post a longer one tomorrow, promise.

Nallenon said...

Sloowpost.
But interesting nevertheless, some kids we don't know find out about TricksyRik.

D said...

I'm expecting an iceberg approach to the outer frame story, where we fill in the (major) blanks on what's going on (this has worked fine so far).

It seems the inner frame needs more of a resolution, but then again, it's being told by the Master Trickster, who could be tricking the outer frame characters, in a grand Madde-level Grand Trix!

(Maybe not, but I'm highlighting the fun you could have with a story about a story about a story...)

Also, I've devised a clever, feasible, hugely unlikely explanation of what the hell has been happening in the last five-or-so posts. That Shed is a wild card, though, so I'll sit on it for a post or two.
(Method: What Would Winthrop Do?)

Riklurt said...

If Winthrop were behind this, expect Madde to physically shapeshift into me next time you meet her. Winthrop would not be satisfied with being confined to manipulating the story or the story-within-the-story; he'd want to manipulate reality itself.

Also, it seems I actually genuinely do shapeshift, and not just create illusions. Thank you, Madde! This is the best power ever!

Transsexuality ahoy!